Fraudulent emails and phone calls have been reported in Guelph.
Callers have claimed to be from Canada Revenue Agency, Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada, and Passport Canada.
If you receive a suspicious call, hang up immediately and contact the local police. Please also report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501
Some tips to protect yourself:
- Always keep your access codes, passwords, and PINs secret
- Protect your Social Insurance Number – do not provide it to anyone unless you are certain that they are entitled to know it
- Shred unwanted documents before throwing them away
- Be wary of links in your emails – do not click on a link that you think may be suspicious
- Confirm the “From” address of an email you receive. It if looks suspicious, do not click any links
- The CRA will not ask you to provide personal information by email